The impact of a semi-truck accident is unlike any other vehicular mishap. The sheer size and weight of these colossal machines can lead to catastrophic damage, both to vehicles and human lives.
If you have experienced such an accident, the aftermath can be an overwhelming mixture of emotional, physical, and financial distress. However, there are options for legal recourse available to you, depending on the cause of the collision. Remember to contact a Bakersfield truck accident lawyer to help you win your case.
What Factors Can Lead to a Semi-Truck Accident?
Many factors can contribute to a truck collision, from inclement weather and vehicle defects to negligence on the part of the truck driver or his or her employer. Some of the most common causes of semi-truck accidents include:
- Driver Fatigue: Semi-truck drivers often work long hours and may not get the rest they need, leading to reduced reaction times and impaired judgment. This could easily lead them to get into a car accident in Bakersfield.
- Equipment Failure: This can include brake failure, tire blowouts, and other mechanical issues that might arise from poor maintenance or manufacturing defects.
- Improper Loading: An overloaded or improperly loaded truck can become unbalanced, making it difficult for the driver to control, especially in challenging driving conditions.
- Weather Conditions: Slippery roads from rain, snow, or ice can be particularly treacherous for large trucks, which take longer to stop than smaller vehicles. Drivers must adjust their driving to match these conditions, but not all of them do.
- Distracted Driving: Just like with any other driver, distractions such as phone calls, texting, or even eating can divert a truck driver’s attention from the road and lead to a collision.
What Legal Options Do You Have After a Truck Accident?
If you are involved in a semi-truck accident, you can suffer from not only physical injuries but also emotional trauma and financial setbacks. In these situations, you deserve fair compensation for the losses that you have endured. A Bakersfield personal injury attorney can help you identify the right steps to take after suffering from a truck accident injury.
In California, victims of truck collisions have the right to pursue various types of legal claims to seek justice and hold the at-fault party accountable for the collision. These claims allow victims to recover compensation for medical care, property damage, and other losses:
- Claims Against the Truck Driver: If the truck driver was negligent, distracted, under the influence, or violated any traffic laws leading to the accident, you can file a personal injury lawsuit directly against him or her.
- Claims Against the Trucking Company: Often, the trucking company may be held liable for the actions of its employees. If the company failed to conduct thorough background checks, allowed overloading, or did not enforce regular vehicle maintenance, they might also be held responsible. The company could also be accountable if they encouraged or allowed drivers to exceed the legal driving hours, leading to fatigue-related accidents.
- Product Liability Lawsuits: If the accident resulted from a defective truck part, such as faulty brakes or malfunctioning lights, you might have grounds for a product liability lawsuit against the manufacturer.
What Should You Do After a Semi-Truck Accident?
If you are involved in a truck collision, it is important to remain calm or seek help. Call 911 and visit the hospital as soon as possible for medical treatment. Then, contact a personal injury attorney to discuss your legal options.
With the right guidance and representation, you can navigate the legal system to obtain the justice and compensation they deserve. After your accident, contact our California semi-truck accident lawyers to discuss your case and take your first steps toward recovery.