Like most places in the United States, California is a fault car accident state. If you are involved in a collision, you have the right to file a lawsuit against the person who caused your accident. You can also file a claim against the at-fault driver’s insurance policy.
If the at-fault driver holds State Farm insurance coverage, pursuing compensation can be complicated. In these situations, it is important to consult with a California car accident lawyer who can represent your case and guide you through the claims process.
Steps to Take After a Car Accident in California
The steps that you take after a car accident could affect your chances of recovering a fair settlement. After the collision, remain calm and take the following actions to protect yourself and your future case:
- Call 911 to report the accident to law enforcement. Ask for the responding officer’s information so you can find the report later.
- Seek medical care, even if you do not feel hurt. Save all of your medical records—these documents will be critical evidence.
- Exchange your information with any drivers who were involved in the accident. Collect contact, license, and insurance information.
- If any witnesses saw the accident, ask for their names and contact information so you can ask them to testify in your case.
- Take as many photographs and videos of the car accident scene as you can.
- Avoid apologizing or admitting fault for the accident. This could affect your ability to recover compensation.
- Contact a California car accident lawyer to discuss your case.
How to File a Claim with State Farm Insurance
The first step for filing an insurance claim with State Farm is to contact the company’s 24/7 Claims Service Center. Report the accident and answer the representative’s basic questions about the accident, such as when and where it happened. Your attorney can help you prepare for this call.
Once you have reported the accident to State Farm, the company will assign you a claim number and an adjuster who will investigate your case. They will also schedule an appointment to take your car to an approved auto repair service facility for a repair estimate.
What Happens After You File a Claim with State Farm?
Once you have filed your claim with State Farm, an adjuster will investigate your case and determine whether you are eligible for compensation and how much you should receive. You and your attorney may also attend negotiations with the company to reach a more favorable settlement.
The claims process can take a few days to a few weeks, depending on the complexity and severity of the crash. If the insurance company denies your claim, you have the right to file an appeal with State Farm. You can also take your claim to court and file a lawsuit against the at-fault driver.
Contact a California Car Accident Attorney
If you plan on filing a State Farm claim, you need an advocate on your side. A California car accident attorney can help you navigate the claims process, handle negotiations with the insurance adjuster, and fight for your right to maximum compensation. Contact a lawyer as soon as possible following your accident to plan your next steps.