School Sexual Abuse Lawyers in Kern County
Sexual misconduct and sexual abuse by teachers in the public and private school systems happens more than we think and often times the abuse is unreported or goes unpunished. Stop Educator and Sexual Abuse Misconduct & Exploitation (S.E.S.A.M.E.), a national organization dedicated to ending abuse in schools and increase public awareness, states that one out of ten children K-12 students are victims of sexual educator misconduct. Sexual abuse happens at the collegiate level also. S.E.S.A.M.E reported in 2015 that:
- About 3.5 million students in 8th through 11th grade reported having physical sexual contact from an adult (usually a teacher or coach) ranging from unwanted touching to sexual intercourse.
- The number increased to 4.5 million students when included other types of sexual misconduct, such as being shown pornography or being subjected to sexually explicit language or exhibitionism.
Signs of sexual abuse of children may include:
- Not wanting to be hugged or touched
- Unexplained sleep problems or nightmares
- Loss of appetite, not wanting to eat, or trouble swallowing
- Sudden mood swings, insecurity, or withdrawal
- A new or unusual fear of a certain person or place
- Exhibits knowledge of adult sexual behaviors and language
- Draws, writes, dreams, or talks about frightening images or sexual acts
- Thinks of themselves or their body as “bad” or “dirty”
In teens or adolescents:
- Drug or alcohol abuse
- Sexual promiscuousness
- Stops caring about bodily appearance or compulsively eats or diets obsessively
- Running away from home
- Anxiety or depression
- Attempting suicide
Sexual abuse of children does not just happen it schools. It also happens in organizations such as youth sports clubs, religious institutions, and youth recreation programs by coaches, staff, volunteers, and other students.
Our Bakersfield sexual abuse attorneys are dedicated to being the voice for children who have suffered from sexual abuse and misconduct in school or in other organizations. We have the resources and skills to thoroughly investigate claims and bring justice to the children who have been sexually abused.
If you or someone you know has been a victim of sexual abuse in school, contact our Kern County law firm for a no-charge consultation: (661) 323-1400 or toll-free 1-800-585-9262.