When you are hospitalized, immobilized, or otherwise seriously injured following a bicycle accident in California, effectively handling an injury claim can be daunting. Yet, a misstep can lead to a significantly reduced award. It’s therefore important to obtain legal help from a law firm that will follow through on your need for knowledgeable, diligent, and caring legal advocacy.
The Bakersfield bike accident lawyers of Rodriguez & Associates have assisted injured cyclists in the Central Valley for over 100 years combined. Since 1980, dozens of injured cyclists and their families have turned to us following bicycle accidents. In return, we have achieved numerous five-, six- and seven-figure results. We always seek maximum compensation to help you cover existing medical bills, future expenses, and the trauma of your experience. To discuss your legal options following a bike injury or fatal bike crash, please contact our firm.
At Rodriguez & Associates, our initial consultations are free, and we charge on a contingency fee basis, meaning you pay nothing unless we obtain compensation for you. To discuss your accident, call (661) 777-7575 or 800-585-9262 Toll-Free.
Why Choose Rodriguez & Associates?
- Our Bakersfield bicycle accident attorneys hold over 100 years of combined experience in personal injury litigation. We have the skills and experience necessary to advocate for your right to compensation.
- We achieve the results of a large law firm while providing the dedication and personalized attention of a small firm. Our experienced attorney will handle all aspects of your case so you can focus on recovery.
- Our personal injury law firm has a strong track record of successful claims. We have recovered hundreds of millions of dollars on behalf of our clients and achieved the highest personal injury verdict in Kern County history.
How Our Bakersfield Bicycle Accident Attorneys Can Help
Biking is a popular pastime in Bakersfield with biking events throughout the year. Numerous questions need to be addressed in order to resolve a bicycle accident injury case. What caused the accident? Did environmental factors such as impaired visibility or poor road and path conditions play a part in causing the accident? A distracted motorist? A drunk driver? What is the extent of injuries? And what level of insurance coverage applies to the accident?
Our law firm is composed of experienced trial attorneys and an engineer. We can knowledgeably address the many factors that led to your bike accident and draw on decades of experience when negotiating and litigating for your result. For more information regarding how we can help following a bike accident, please contact us for a no-charge consultation.
At Rodriguez & Associates, we know a thing or two about bicycling because the firm founder, Daniel Rodriguez, is a cyclist himself. He regularly rides and has been on bicycling trips in other states as well as in Canada, France and Italy.
Legal Options for Injured Bakersfield Cyclists
If you are injured in a bicycle accident, you may be eligible for financial compensation. California is a fault accident state, meaning that negligent drivers are financially liable for the accidents that they cause. If another driver is responsible for your collision, you could file an insurance claim or lawsuit against him or her.
You could also file a lawsuit against a manufacturer if your accident was caused by a defective product, such as a malfunctioning bike or vehicle component. If the collision occurred due to dangerous road conditions, such as potholes, you could file a claim against the agency responsible for maintaining the road.
There are many legal options available to you, depending on the circumstances surrounding your accident. A Bakersfield bicycle accident lawyer from Rodriguez & Associates can evaluate your claim and identify your optimal path to compensation.
What Are the Leading Causes of Bicycle Accidents in Bakersfield?
A Bakersfield bicycle accident can occur unexpectedly, even if the biker is cautious and follows all of the local traffic laws and regulations. Some common causes of bike accidents include:
- Impaired or distracted driving
- Speeding vehicles
- Vehicles swerving through traffic or driving erratically
- Drivers making a turn without looking
- Vehicles running a red light or stop sign
- Failure to yield to a bike or motor vehicle
- Leaving an inadequate amount of space between nearby vehicles
- Drivers veering into the designated bike lane
Common Injuries in Bicycle Accidents
Bicycle accidents can be very dangerous. Cars are much larger and heavier than the average cyclist and, as a result, these collisions often lead to serious and life-threatening injuries. Injured cyclists often require extensive medical care, disability accommodations, and specialized treatment, such as physical therapy.
Common injuries in bicycle accidents include the following.
- Broken bones and fractures
- Internal bleeding
- Organ damage
- Traumatic brain injury
- Spinal cord damage, including paralysis
- Scrapes, bruises, and lacerations
- Facial injuries
- Back and neck injuries
What Damages Are Available in Bicycle Accident Claims?
A bicycle accident can result in significant financial losses, from thousands of dollars worth of medical expenses to months of lost wages and extensive property damage. The physical and psychological impact of the accident can be difficult to cope with, resulting in further hardship. If someone else is responsible for your collision, you deserve to hold him or her accountable.
Under California law, you can collect compensation for the economic and non-economic losses that you experienced.
- All past and future medical expenses, such as medications, surgeries, and doctor’s visits
- Lost wages that you incurred during your recovery time and while receiving treatment
- Loss of future earnings or benefits if your injuries prevent you from returning to your job
- Property damage that you sustained in the accident, including bicycle repair or replacement
- Disability accommodations, including mobility equipment, live-in care, and modifications to your home or vehicle
- Physical pain and suffering, such as chronic pain and permanent disability
- Emotional pain and suffering, such as emotional distress, mental anguish, depression, and anxiety
As a bicycle accident victim, it can be difficult to understand the full extent of your injuries and damages. Your bike accident lawyer from Rodriguez and Associates can calculate your estimated settlement, identifying all potential avenues to compensation.
What You Should Do After a Bakersfield Bike Accident
For many California residents, biking is both a pleasant pastime and an efficient method of environmentally-friendly transportation. However, there is always a chance that you or a loved one may be involved in a collision while on your bicycle. Our Bakersfield motor vehicle accident lawyers recommend doing the following if you’re involved in a collision:
- Call for Medical Assistance: As a biker, you have far less protection than the driver or passenger of a motor vehicle. Modern-day cars are designed to protect their passengers, with rigorously-tested airbags, efficient seatbelts, shatter-resistant glass windows, and deformation zones. If an accident occurs, bicyclists have only the protection of the clothes and equipment they’re wearing. As such, even if you feel alright in the moments following the accident, you may be more injured than you know. It’s best to be safe and have you and any other accident victims inspected by medical experts.
- Remain at the Scene: After a Bakersfield bicycle accident, you and anyone involved in the crash are obligated to remain at the scene if there was property damage or injuries caused. If you and the car’s driver are uninjured, exchange contact information. Be sure to get their name, phone number, insurance information, address, license plate number, driver’s license information, and insurance policy number.
- Do Not Negotiate With the Motorist On-Scene: A bike accident can be a nerve-wracking, traumatic experience for you and everyone involved in the situation. Even if the motorist admits fault for the crash, do not attempt to negotiate a payment for the damages caused. You may not be aware of the full extent of injuries caused or damage done to your bicycle, and the driver may attempt to go back on any verbal agreement reached the scene.
- Document What Occurred: If you are safely able to, document the scene of the accident in detail. Take photographs of your bike, the vehicle that struck you, any property damage caused, any injuries you sustained, and the road conditions. Ask for the contact information of any witnesses, so they can provide their account of the incident if needed.
- Make Sure the Police Make a Report: When the police arrive, make sure that they get your side of the story. Report any injuries you sustained in the Bakersfield bicycle accident, no matter how insignificant they may seem in the moment. If the accident is minor enough to the extent that law enforcement does not respond, contact your local police station via their non-emergency line and they can help you file a report.
- Seek Legal Assistance: Before speaking to the driver’s insurance company, hire an experienced bicycle accident attorney in Bakersfield. We work closely with you, handle negotiations with any insurance companies involved, and can help you file a personal injury claim. Our legal team works diligently to hold wrongdoers responsible for their actions.
Contact One of Our Bakersfield CA Bicycle Accident Attorneys
Rodriguez & Associates is conveniently located in downtown Bakersfield. Our personal injury lawyer is available for weekend and evening appointments, charge no fee for consultations, and speaks both English and Spanish. To contact us, please call (661) 777-7575 or 800-585-9262 Toll-Free to schedule a free consultation with one of our Bakersfield bike accident attorneys today.